On Thursday, the Trump Administration released the proposed Federal Budget – which calls for a$9.2 billion dollar (13.5%) cutin the U.S. Department of Education Budget.
Among other things the Trump Budget would:
- Eliminate $1.2 billionin funding for after-school and summer enrichment programs.
- Eliminate $2.4 billionin grants to states
for preparing and training teachers.
- Cut $200 millionin TRIO and Gear Up
- Eliminate $43 millionin grants to colleges
for teacher prep programs.
- Add $168 millionto the Charter School
Program – a 50% increase.
- Add $1 billion for TITLE 1– thenew fundswould be used to
encourage districts to adopt a “portability” policy – allowing local, state
and federal funds to follow a child to whatever public school they choose.
- Create a new $250 millionprivate-school
- Eliminate $66 millionin “Impact Aid” that offsets tax revenue losses that communities lose when they have federal property in their borders.