UPDATED: February 28, 2017
Introduction. The National Council of Teachers of English (“NCTE” or “We”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy. This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the Website www.ncte.org (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
While this policy applies primarily to information we collect on and through this Website, we also collect some information submitted to us outside of the Website. We may collect personal information about you through various means, including:
- Through the Website;
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website;
- On membership applications, convention registration, and convention session applications;
- Information requests;
- Award, grant, and contest applications;
- Store purchases;
- Professional portals (e.g., Connected Community, ReadWriteThink); and
- Information submitted via mail, fax, phone, sign-up sheets, and other such offline methods.
Children under the Age of 13. Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features/register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect about You and How We Collect It. We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information“);
- that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as your school and school district; and/or
- about your Internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
We collect some information directly, when you provide it to us, and automatically, as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies.
Information You Provide to Us. The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms, requests, or promotions on our Website;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes;
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website and of the fulfillment of your order; you may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through our Website; and
- Your search queries on the Website.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted“) on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website, for example, through the NCTE Connected Community (collectively, “User Contributions“). All User Contributions become the property of NCTE. Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Don’t give out more information than what you would like everyone in the world to know. You can, of course, edit or delete the messages you post there. It should be noted that the email address you submit as part of the registration process for the NCTE Connected Community is not visible and cannot be retrieved by a member of the public.
Although we limit access to certain pages of the Website, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect through Automatic Data Collection Technologies. As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and
- Information about your computer and Internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
Generally speaking, you can visit the NCTE Website without revealing any personal information about yourself. We use aggregate data that we collect automatically to help us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests;
- Speed up your searches;
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
If the need arises, we may use the logs to trace the source of abusive or illicit activity. We do not share our web logs with any outside party.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit NCTE, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related Website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
How We Use Your Information. We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your membership, including expiration and renewal notices, and opportunities to engage with the organization on a wide variety of levels.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Because of the special relationship we seek to maintain with our members, NCTE also sends them periodic updates and announcements by email. We may also make an occasional phone call (e.g., to clear up a problem or inquire about a lapsed membership). NCTE members have their own online profile page (within the My NCTE Page) where they can specify their preferred phone number and mailing address.
We may also use your information to contact you about third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, who are obligated not to share the information with others.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of NCTE’s assets, in which personal information held by NCTE about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have consented to these disclosures, for example, as part of your convention registration.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it;
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
Please be aware that NCTE does not share member data with other members, except in situations in which the member has given express permission to do so. If any member takes actions to attempt to use technological means to access information of other members through the website in contravention of this policy, NCTE reserves the right to terminate that member.
The NCTE uses demographic and professional information collected on membership, convention, and other forms for de-identified aggregate analysis, to personalize our member records for better service, and to create targeted mailing lists. This information is also included in convention attendee lists supplied to convention exhibitors and other responsible third parties. In addition to the primary purpose stated or implied at the time the information is collected, we may use your postal mailing address to send you information about NCTE programs or products, surveys, etc. If you supply personal information, such as an email address, we use it to confirm any orders you may place through the Website, follow up on a request, or other such actions as the context determines. We may also use it to keep you informed about NCTE programs and initiatives. On occasion, we may use your e-mail address for a purpose indirectly related to the original context (e.g., e-mailing a customer satisfaction survey to those who have made purchases from the NCTE catalog or in the NCTE online store).
It is important to note that we provide our convention attendee information, including certain personally identifiable information about you, to convention exhibitors and may make it available to others under certain circumstances. We also make our member data available to companies offering NCTE member benefits and other responsible third parties. With the exception of the convention attendee data, NCTE does not make its e-mail lists available to any third party, including other members of NCTE. Personal information is also collected in the following areas, but is not reused in any form for any “secondary” purpose:
- Participation in special programs
- E-mail newsletter sent to nonmembers
For information about how you may, at no cost, opt-out of disclosures of your personal information, see the “Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information” section below.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of NCTE, our customers, or others.
Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information. We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data (e.g., the registration form. You can also always opt-out from future third-party advertising by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com, or by calling our toll free number: 877-369-6283.
- Promotional Offers from NCTE. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by the NCTE to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out from future promotional offers by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling our toll free number: 877-369-6283. This opt out does not apply to information provided to NCTE as a result of a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience, or other transactions.
Data Security. We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you, or you have chosen, a password, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone, or give out information in public areas of the Website like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
National Council of Teachers of English
1111 W. Kenyon Road, Urbana, IL 61801-1096
Toll-free number: 877-369-6283