NCTE Student Affiliates provide the opportunity for preservice teachers to network and gain experience in professional learning and leadership. Currently, there are 23 student affiliates.
Benefits of Affiliation with NCTE
- Encouraging collaboration of student teachers of the English language arts at your college or university.
- Becoming a member of NCTE builds upon young teachers’ intent to be English teachers and clearly shows their dedication to the teaching of the English language arts.
- Connection to a national network of professionals working to improve the teaching of English language arts.
- Representation on the NCTE Board of Directors.
- Information on NCTE through the NCTE website.
- To insure you meet the membership requirement, collect and submit with your application the NCTE memberships from at least 10 members, including the officers, who are members of your student affiliate.
- Unlike regular affiliates that usually maintain steady numbers, members of student affiliates come and go relatively quickly (in one-two years.).
- Because the membership of student affiliates changes every year, the faculty sponsor is usually the “glue” that holds the group together.
- Sometimes pairing up “older and younger” (e.g. senior and junior) students to hold the various offices works well to provide continuity. This helps to make sure that a student who knows how to hold the office and how to operate within it remains on the board and can train a new officer.
- The best thing your student affiliate can become is a group that meets the needs of its members.