Form an NCTE Student Affiliate
NCTE Student Affiliates provide the opportunity for preservice teachers to network and gain experience in professional learning and leadership. Currently, there are 23 student affiliates.
Benefits of Affiliation with NCTE
- Encouraging collaboration of student teachers of the English language arts at your college or university.
- Becoming a member of NCTE builds upon young teachers’ intent to be English teachers and clearly shows their dedication to the teaching of the English language arts.
- Connection to a national network of professionals working to improve the teaching of English language arts.
- Representation on the NCTE Board of Directors.
- Information on NCTE through the NCTE website.
- To insure you meet the membership requirement, collect and submit with your application the NCTE memberships from at least 10 members, including the officers, who are members of your student affiliate.
- Unlike regular affiliates that usually maintain steady numbers, members of student affiliates come and go relatively quickly (in one-two years.).
- Because the membership of student affiliates changes every year, the faculty sponsor is usually the “glue” that holds the group together.
- Sometimes pairing up “older and younger” (e.g. senior and junior) students to hold the various offices works well to provide continuity. This helps to make sure that a student who knows how to hold the office and how to operate within it remains on the board and can train a new officer.
- The best thing your student affiliate can become is a group that meets the needs of its members.