NCTE Connects Code of Conduct
NCTE Connects Rules & Etiquette
Thanks for being part of NCTE Connects. To ensure the best possible experience for all who visit this space, we ask that you follow some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining NCTE Connects, you agree that you have read and will follow the rules and guidelines set for discussions, email, resources, profiles/directory, and groups. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in ongoing exchanges about matters relevant to literacy education. Discussions or resource library collections that do not appear to be relevant to literacy education may be discontinued by NCTE. Questions about NCTE policy should be submitted through the “contact us” form on the NCTE website. Technical questions about NCTE Connects can be sent to email@example.com.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, NCTE reserves the right to suspend or terminate NCTE Connects access for members who do not follow these rules.
- We encourage spirited debate about literacy education issues, but will not permit personal attacks on any NCTE Connects member or visitor.
- Don’t post commercial messages in NCTE Connects. News or information about literacy programs or initiatives sponsored by other nonprofit organizations is welcome and can be posted on appropriate discussion forums. Please use caution when discussing or commenting on commercial products or services. Information posted in NCTE Connects is available for all members to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Remember that NCTE Connects users have the right to reproduce postings to group discussions. Groups whose membership is restricted by elected or appointive roles they play within the Council or its constituent organizations may hold private conversations pertinent to their charge/mission which may not be reproduced elsewhere.
- Specifically, as an NCTE Connects user, you agree that you will not post, email or make available any content or use this community:
- in a manner that involves software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- to engage in spamming, “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” advertisement of illegal or controlled products or services, or other advertising or marketing activities that violate these Rules and Etiquette Guidelines or any applicable laws, regulations, or generally-accepted advertising industry guidelines;
- in a manner that is misleading, deceptive or fraudulent, or otherwise illegal, or that promotes illegal activities, including engaging in phishing or otherwise obtaining financial or other personal information in a misleading manner or for fraudulent or misleading purposes;
- in a manner that is libelous or defamatory, or in a way that is otherwise threatening, abusive, violent, harassing, malicious, or harmful to any person or entity, or is invasive of another’s privacy;
- in a manner that is harmful to minors in any way;
- in a manner that is hateful or discriminatory based on race, color, sex, religion, nationality, ethnic or national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or age or is otherwise objectionable;
- to impersonate any other person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity, or to obtain access to this Network without authorization;
- to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of NCTE Connects or prevent others from using this community, or to act in a manner that disrupts the normal flow of dialogue with an excessive number of messages (flooding attack) to this community, or that otherwise negatively affects other persons’ ability to use this community;
- to use any manual or automated means, including agents, robots, scripts, or spiders, to access or manage any user’s account or to monitor or copy this Network or the content contained therein;
- to facilitate the unlawful distribution of copyrighted content;
- in a manner that includes personal or identifying information about another person without that person’s explicit consent;
- in a manner that employs misleading email or IP addresses, or forged headers or otherwise manipulated identifiers in order to disguise the origin of content transmitted through this Network or to users; or
- in a manner that constitutes or contains any form of advertising or solicitation if emailed to users who have requested not to be contacted about other services, products, or commercial interests.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- “Stalk” or otherwise harass anyone;
- Collect, use, or disclose data, including personal information, about other users without their consent or for unlawful purposes or in violation of applicable law or regulations;
- Request, solicit, or otherwise obtain access to usernames, passwords or other authentication credentials from any member of this community or to proxy authentication credentials for any member of this community for the purposes of automating logins to this community;
- Post any content containing child pornography to this community;
- Post any content that depicts or contains rape, extreme violence, murder, bestiality, incest, or other similar content;
- Post irrelevant content, repeatedly post the same or similar content, or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Network’s infrastructure;
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to our computer systems or engage in any activity that disrupts, diminishes the quality of, interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of, this Network;
- Use this Network as a generic file hosting service;
- Take any action that may undermine the feedback or ratings systems (such as displaying, importing or exporting feedback information off of this community or for using it for purposes unrelated to NCTE Connects); and
- Develop, invoke, or utilize any code to disrupt, diminish the quality of, interfere with the performance of, or impair the functionality of this community.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments or resource uploads. This allows others to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier to search the resources by subject.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “Remove me from the list,” through the discussion lists or topical groups. Instead, use the Web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a group.
The Legal Stuff
Information in NCTE Connects is provided as a service by NCTE. NCTE is not responsible for the opinions and veracity of information posted on this site by others. NCTE disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by NCTE staff, elected leaders, or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall NCTE be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner (please note our Code of Best Practices for Fair Use in Media Literacy Education). By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, those posting to Group Discussions and related resources grant NCTE and users of NCTE Connects the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material for education purposes only—not for commercial purposes.
NCTE does not comprehensively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to NCTE’s attention, appropriate action will be taken.
NCTE reserves the right to terminate access of any user who does not abide by these guidelines. NCTE also reserves the right to update this Code of Conduct at any time without notice.
These guidelines were derived in part from disclaimer/legal notices featured on the Connected Community.