For more than 100 years, NCTE has worked with its members to offer journals, publications, and resources; to further the voice and expertise of educators as advocates for their students at the local and federal levels; and to share lesson ideas, research, and teaching strategies through its Annual Convention and other professional learning events.
The National Council of Teachers of English is devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education. This mission statement was adopted in 1990: “The Council promotes the development of literacy, the use of language to construct personal and public worlds and to achieve full participation in society, through the learning and teaching of English and the related arts and sciences of language.”
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting the accounting team with activities including recording, classifying, examining, and analyzing data and records of financial transactions. They will have the ability to work independently and build excellent professional relationships with colleagues and members. The Staff Accountant will work in a diverse team environment spread across geographic locations.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Perform all daily banking responsibilities, including reconciling and monitoring bank accounts, electronic funds transfers, withdrawals and deposits, and credit card activity. These processes use various online and inhouse software systems.
- Review, post, and reconcile all daily batch entries from financial transactions (including lockbox receipts), ensuring accurate processing and account coding.
- Run the daily integration of financial transactions; process advertising commissions invoices using Bill.com; process royalty and permissions payments received from publishers.
- Update marketing statistics and circulation reports monthly.
- Allocate monthly expenses to the cost centers and record necessary journal entries.
- Maintain fixed asset system that reflects the purchase, disposal, and depreciation of all capitalized assets.
- Perform monthly reconciliations of general ledger accounts; run standard transactions and reconcile deferred income accounts monthly.
- Run monthly reports and reconcile accounts receivable subsidiary to general ledger balance.
- Assist Customer Service Representative(s) with processing and/or finance and accounting inquiries.
- Assist CFO and Accounting Manager with monthly financial reporting, annual audit, and inventory.
- Send out monthly statements to all customers with accounts receivable balances.
- Investigate balances more than 60 days past due and send appropriate collection notices.
- Investigate and process all credit balances on the A/R reports, monitor miscellaneous product activity, and make appropriate reclassifications in the general ledger.
- Manage monthly advertising vendor orders, commissions, and reconciliation reports.
The Staff Accountant will have the following qualifications:
- Associates degree in accounting or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information and to prepare complete and accurate accounting reports.
- Strong analytical skills and keen attention to details.
- Basic knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Advanced technical skills, including in Microsoft Suite-Excel and cloud-based and paperless systems. Aptify experience preferred, but not required.
- Collaborative work style and positive demeanor.
- Passion for the work of NCTE.
National Council of Teachers of English has retained CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP to spearhead our search efforts.
To Apply: Send résumés to Octavia Gilmore, National Search Leader, at email@example.com
NCTE is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
We strongly encourage diversity in our environment.