NCTE’s members are readers—for themselves as they seek to grow their professional knowledge, and for their students as they seek to find texts that will inspire—because NCTE members know: the right book in the right hands can transform a life.
This is why we’re starting Build Your Stack™, a new initiative focused exclusively on helping teachers build their book knowledge and their classroom libraries.
TEACHER EXPERTISE + BOOK KNOWLEDGE
We’re building NCTE into the place where you go to meet authors of significance, paving the way for knowledge and relationships that transform students and schools.
Our members’ knowledge of books should be celebrated and recognized, and this new initiative offers just the right platform.
But, you might say, there are so many books out there, and I have so little time to explore them all. We know! Build Your Stack will reduce the guesswork that goes into building a classroom library by creating a trusted connection to the best books, recommended by colleagues with deep expertise.
WHAT IS BUILD YOUR STACK?
1. A set of 35 unique sessions in the Exhibit Hall at the NCTE Annual Convention in Houston, Texas. Each 20-minute session will feature authors and educators talking about their favorite books and how to use them in the classroom.
2. Booklists and recommendations all year long, curated by NCTE members and shared via our member communications.
3. Periodic professional learning experiences in sites across the country that bring NCTE members together with authors and dynamic educators.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS! SHARE WITH US ON SOCIAL MEDIA USING #BUILDYOURSTACK.
WHAT KINDS OF BUILD-YOUR-STACK SESSIONS CAN I EXPECT AT #NCTE18?
Planning is still underway, but currently slated sessions include:
- How to host mock book award competitions
- Teaching poetry that inspires action
- Diverse titles in fiction texts
- Best new international picture books
- Graphic novels as catalysts for engaging struggling readers
- Books with the potential to save lives
- Favorite new YA fiction
- . . . and much, much more
“Ever since I joined NCTE in 1991, the many ways in which our organization has connected me with books and authors have shaped me as a teacher. My knowledge of the content of our discipline is deeply intertwined with the powerful learning experiences NCTE has provided and this has had a huge impact on my students. This project serves to take those experiences and connections to a whole new level. Teachers who are readers have students who are readers.”
— FRANKI SIBBERSON
NCTE President-Elect and 2018 Program Chair
THANK YOU TO THE BUILD-YOUR-STACK COMMITTEE