- This student literary magazine program is open to all secondary and middle schools throughout the United States, Canada, Virgin Islands, and American schools abroad. Schools must be US accredited to enter.
- Magazines submitted must have been published between September of the previous year and July of the entry year.
- Schools may submit only one issue of a school’s magazine. If a school submits more than one magazine, only one will be reviewed and the other(s) returned.
- Elementary magazines are accepted but will be judged by the middle school rubric.
- Newspapers and yearbooks are not eligible.
- Plagiarism is not acceptable and will disqualify a magazine.
NCTE administers the program and works with coordinators from each state. State coordinators assemble a state judging team to review and score magazines. State coordinator contact information for 2018 can be found here. NOTE: State coordinators may not live in the state they are coordinating.
Entries will be accepted May 15 to July 9.
- All applicants must complete the online application form.
- Submit the $25 entry fee. There are several ways to pay:
- You may pay online.
- You may mail a check payable to NCTE [with REALM on the subject line] or purchase order to REALM, NCTE, 1111 W. Kenyon Road, Urbana, IL 61801-1096. Please do not send checks to your state coordinators.
- You may email a purchase order to CustomerService@ncte.org.
- You may call customer service at 217-328-3870 and provide payment information over the phone.
- We are waiving the entry fee for first-time submissions. Please indicate if this is your first time applying on the application form.
- Print and fill out three (3) copies of this mailing insert and include with your magazines.
- Determine if you have a state coordinator here.
- Mail three (3) copies of your literary magazine with the three (3) inserts to one of the following: [DO NOT INCLUDE CHECKS IN THIS MAILING.]
- If your state has a state coordinator, please mail to the state coordinator, not NCTE. State coordinators can be found here.
- If your state does not have a state coordinator, please mail (3) copies of your literary magazine to REALM, NCTE, 1111 W. Kenyon Road, Urbana, IL 61801-1096
6. All magazines must be postmarked by July 9, 2018. Magazines that are postmarked after that date will not be judged.
JUDGING. State and national judges complete the first round of judging. Judging is based on a point system. The total points awarded to magazines determine placement in one of the following categories:
- Nominated for REALM First Class (93-100)
- Superior (86-100 points)
- Excellent (71-85 points)
- Merit (70 or fewer points)
REALM First Class – Magazines scoring 93-100 points and recommended by the state and national judges for REALM First Class will be judged by REALM Advisory Committee at the NCTE Annual Convention. The REALM Advisory Committee determines if a magazine merits the honor of REALM First Class.
Judging is confidential. Critiques of individual magazines are not provided. Scores of the magazines will not be released.
Evaluation Guide for High School Magazine Judges
Evaluation Guide for Middle School Magazine Judges
Results are announced in January and posted on the NCTE website. Schools receive a certificate denoting their award, which is sent to the advisor of the school’s literary magazine. In addition, the names of the student editors, literary advisor, and school appear on the NCTE website.
NCTE would like to thank all who volunteered to judge middle school and high school literary magazines. We appreciate your dedication to students all over the world and your colleagues.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
There were a total of 372 entries with 26 Highest Award recipients. (Results will be posted in January, 2018.)
Note: Magazines of state coordinators were scored by national judges.
2016 REALM (formerly PRESLM) Winners
There were a total of 334 entries with 24 Highest Award recipients.